This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|Birth name||Paliyath Jayachandrakuttan|
|Born||3 March 1944|
Kochi, Kerala, India
Paliyath Jayachandrakuttan is an Indian playback singer and actor from Kerala. He has worked with many composers including G. Devarajan, M. S. Baburaj, V. Dakshinamoorthy, K. Raghavan, M. K. Arjunan, M. S. Viswanathan, Ilaiyaraaja, Koti, Shyam, A. R. Rahman, M. M. Keeravani, Vidyasagar and M Jayachandran. He has sung more than 10000 songs in total in different languages. He also acted in few films.
In 1986, he won the National Film Award for Best Male Playback Singer and also won Kerala State Film Award five times. In 2020, he was awarded the J. C. Daniel Award, the highest award in Malayalam cinema, for his outstanding contributions to Malayalam cinema. He is widely regarded as one of the greatest expression singer in South India. He also won 2 Tamil Nadu state film awards .
Jayachandran was born in Bhadralayam at Ravipuram, Kochi on 3 March 1944 and his family later moved to Irinjalakuda. He is the third of five children of the late Ravivarma Kochaniyan Thampuran, a member of Cochin royal family, who was himself a musician, though never a professional singer and the late Paliyath Subhadrakkunjamma, and also the second of their three sons. His siblings (11lKrishnakumar (b. 1947) Jayanthi (b. 1949).
Jayachandran graduated from Christ College, Irinjalakuda. He was a student of the National High School, Irinjalakuda from where he received many prizes for playing the mridangam and light music in the State School Youth Festival. Jayachandran met Yesudas in 1958 when he participated in the state youth festival. Yesudas won the Best Classical Singer award and Jayachandran got the best mridamgist award in the same year.
In 1967, he sang the evergreen song "Anuragaganam pole", composed by M.S. Baburaj, for the film Udhyogastha, directed by P. Venu. Later together, P. Venu and Jayachandran produced more hits like "Ninmaniarayile" C.I.D. Nazir 1971 and "Malayala Bashathan" Prethangalude Thazhvara 1973. Jayachandran received the Kerala State Film Award for Best Singer in 1972 for the song "Neelagiriyude ('Suprabhaatham')" for the film Panitheeratha Veedu. Its music was done by M. S. Viswanathan. The year 1978 brought him another Kerala State award, this time for the song "Ragam Sreeragam" from the film Bandhanam, composed by M. B. Sreenivasan. In 1985 he received the National Film Award for Best Male Playback Singer for the song "Sivasankara Sarva Saranya Vibho" from the film Sree Narayana Guru, composed by G. Devarajan . The song "Prayam Nammil", from the film Niram, brought him a third Kerala state award in 1998. In 2015 he received the next state award for his songs in Jilebi and Ennu ninte Moideen 46th Kerala State Film Awards.In 1975, he sang for the Malayalam movie Penpada (with music by R. K. Shekhar) a song called "Velli then Kinnam Pol", regarded as the first composition of the then 9-year-old Dileep Shekhar, now more widely known as A. R. Rahman.
Jayachandran worked in close collaboration with the composer Ilayaraja, producing numerous popular hits in the Tamil language, including "Raasaathi Unna", "Kaathirundhu Kaathirundhu" (both from the 1984 release Vaidhegi kaathirundhaal), "Mayanginen Solla Thayanginen" (from the 1985 release Naaney raaja naaney mandhiri), "Vaalkaiye Vesham" (from the 1979 release Aarilirundhu Arubathu Varai), "Poova Eduthu Oru" (from the 1986 release Amman Kovil Kizhakaaley) and "Thaalaattudhey Vaanam" (from the 1981 release Kadal Meengal). In 1994, he received the Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Singer for the song "Kathazham Kattuvazhi" for the film Kizhakku Cheemayile, composed by A. R. Rahman. As a recognition for his contribution to Tamil film music, he was honoured with the 1997 Kalaimamani award of the Tamil Nadu Government.
Jayachandran was honoured with the Swaralaya Kairali Yesudas award at the beginning of 2001, which he was the first person to receive. The motive behind this award is to choose the best from the singers and lyricists within a span of 30 years. He has sung nearly 1000 songs for Malayalam movies over the years, according to the MSI information database.
|1973||Alaigal||Ponnenna Poovenna||M. S. Viswanathan|
|1974||Naan Avanillai||Manthaara Malare||M. S. Viswanathan|
|1976||Moondru Mudichu||Vasanthakaala Nadhigalile||M S Viswanathan|
|1978||Kizhake Pogum Rail||Mancholai Kilithano||Ilaiyaraaja|
|Kaatrile Varum Geetham||Chithirai Sevvanam||Ilayaraja|
|Aarilirundhu Aruvathu Varai||Vaazhkaiye Vesham||Ilayaraja|
|1980||Oru Thalai Ragam||Kadavul Vaazhum kovilile||T.Rajendar|
|1981||Kadal Meengal||Thaalattuthey Vaanam||Ilaiyaraaja|
|Antha 7 Naatkal||Kavithai Arangerum Neram||M. S. Viswanathan|
|Rail Payanangalil||Vasantha Kaalangal||T.Rajendar|
|1983||Soorakkottai singakutti||Kaalidasan Kannadasan||Ilaiyaraaja|
|1984||Azhagu||Mounamulla Mayakkam||G. K. Venkatesh|
|Pudhumai Penn||Kadhal Mayakkam||Ilayaraja|
|1985||Pagal Nilavu||Pooviley Medai||Ilaiyaraaja|
|Pillai Nila||Raja Magal Roja Malar||Ilaiyaraaja|
|Naane Raja Naane Mandhiri||Mayanginen Solla Thayanginen||Ilaiyaraaja|
|Naane Raja Naane Mandhiri||Dhegam Siragadikkum||Ilayaraja|
|Vaidehi Kathirunthal||Kaathirundhu Kaathirundhu||Ilayaraja|
|Vaidehi Kaathirundhal||Rasathi Unna||Ilayaraja|
|Vaidehi Kathirunthal||Indraiku Yen Indha Aanandame||Ilaiyaraja|
|1986||Samsaram Adhu Minsaram||Azhagiya Anni||Shankar–Ganesh|
|Amman Kovil Kizhakale||Poova Eduthu Oru Maala||Ilaiyaraaja|
|Kadalora Kavithaigal||Kodiyile Malliyappoo||Ilaiyaraaja|
|M. S. Viswanathan|
|1987||Poo Poova Poothirukku||Poo Pootha Chediya Kaanom||T.Rajendar|
|Chinna Poove Mella Pesu||Chinna Poove Mella Pesu||S. A. Rajkumar|
|1988||Senthoora Poove||Sothanai Theeravilla||Manoj–Gyan|
|Manasukkul Mathappu||Poonthendrale Nee||S. A. Rajkumar|
|Solla Thudikuthu Manasu||Enathu Vizhi||Ilaiyaraaja|
|Oorai Therinjukitten||Thalattuven Kanmani||Gangai Amaran|
|1989||En Purushanthaan Enakku Mattumthaan||Pullai Kooda Paada||Ilaiyaraaja|
|En Purushanthaan Enakku Mattumthaan||Poomudithu||Ilayaraja|
|Rajanadai||Kasthoori Maankutty||M. S. Viswanathan|
|1990||Inaindha Kaigal||"Andhinera Thendral"||Gyan Varma|
|Pachai Kodi||"Ennavadhu Indha"||Gangai Amaran|
|Pudhu Padagan||"Vaaraayo Vanna Kili"||Kalaipuli S Thanu|
|Pudhu Pudhu Ragangal||"Thirunaal Vanthathuda"||S. A. Rajkumar|
|Urudhi Mozhi||"Adhikaalai Nilave"||Ilayaraja|
|1991||Archana IAS||"Naalu Vaarthai"||S. A. Rajkumar|
|1992||Deiva Vaakku||"Oorellam Saamiyaga"||Ilaiyaraaja|
|Ellaichami||"Umai Kuyil Onnu"||S. A. Rajkumar|
|Idhuthanda Sattam||"Azhagana Poonthottam"||S. P. Venkatesh|
|Pondatti Rajyam||"Uchimara Pachakiliye"||Deva|
|Ponnuketha Purushan||"Devathai Vanthaal"||Ilaiyaraja|
|1993||Kizhakku Cheemayile||Kattazham Kattuvazhi||A. R. Rahman|
|1994||Kadhalan||Kollaiyele Thennai Vaithu||A. R. Rahman|
|Atha Maga Rathiname||Alli Alli Thandha Nila||Gangai Amaran|
|Vandicholai Chinraasu||Chitthirai Nilavu||A. R. Rahman|
|May Madham||Enmel Vizhunda||A. R. Rahman|
|Thai Maaman||Aazha Samuthiram||Deva|
|1996||Poove Unakkaga||Sollamale Yaar Parthathu||S. A. Rajkumar|
|1998||Aval Varuvala||Idhu Kaadhalin||S. A. Rajkumar|
|2002||Kannathil Muthamittal||Kannathil Muthamittal||A. R. Rahman|
|Sundhara Travels||Malliga Poovukku||Bharani|
|Sundhara Travels||Nee Santhanam Poosiya||Bharani|
|Baba||Rajyama Illai Imayama||A. R. Rahman|
|2003||Chokka Thangam||Vellaiyay Manam||Deva|
|2004||Engal Anna||Konji Konji Pesum||Deva|
|Vetrivel Sakthivel||En Chella Kannamma||Srikanth Deva|
|2007||Kreedam||Kanavellam||G. V. Prakashkumar|
|2018||Amutha||Kannaadi Maalai||Arun Gopan|
|2020||Vanmurai||chinna poove||Sunny Viswanath|
Tamil Christian Devotional Songs
- "Uravodu Vaazhum" – Deiva Tharisanam
- "Nanbanukkaga" – Deiva Tharisanam
- "Nilavum Thoongum" – Thaagam
- "Ponmaalai Neram" – Thaagam
- "Amaidhiyin Thoothanay" –
- "Enathu Vizhiyil Unathu Paarvai" –
- "Amaithi Thedi Alaiyum Nenjame" – Paathai
- "Manjalayil Mungi Thorthi" – Kalithozhan
- "Therirangum Mukile" – Mazhathullikilukkam
- "Olanjali Kuruvi" – 1983
- "Ithaloornnu Veena" – Thanmathra
- "Harshbashpam Thooki" - "Muthassi"
- "Ariyathe Ariyathe" - "Ravanaprabhu"
- ""Pattil Ee Pattil" - "Pranayam"
- "Sharadambaram " - "Ennu Ninte Moideen"
- "Mannappm chuttu" - Marubhoomiyile Aana
- "Podi meesha" - Pa Va
- "Neeyoru Puzhayayi"- Thilakkam
- "Poove Poove" - "Devadoothan"
- "Aaru Paranju" - "Pulival Kalyanam"
- "Mazhavannu" - Puzhikkadakan
- "Kalabhachuvaru Vecha Meda" - Aval Oru Thudar Katha
- "Peyneer Poley" - Otta
- "Hindusthanvu endu mareyada" - Amrutha Ghalige
- "Olavina Udugore Kodalenu" – Olavina Udugore
- "Mandara Pushpavu Neenu" - Ranganayaki
- "Chanda Chanda" - Maanasa Sarovara
- "Jeevana Sanjeevana" - Hanthakana Sanchu
- "Kamala Nayana Kamala Vadhana" – Bhaktha Prahladha
- " Bhoomi Thayane nee ista kane(Praya Praya Praya)
- " Kannada Naadina Karavali (Masanada Hoovu)
- " Kalgejje Thalake (Muniyana Madari)
- " Kala mattomme Namagagi (Kiladigalu)
- " Alukade Balukutha (Kiladigalu)
- " Savira Hoogalali (Suvarna Sethuve)
- " Uyyale Adona Banniro(DHarani Mandala Madhyadolage)
- " Uppina Saagaraku (Masanada Hoovu)
- " Sridevi Madhavi Kannota Beda(Ganeshana Madhuve)
- " Premada Shruthi Meetide(Ganeshana Maduve)
- " Manasu Kaleyithu (Raithana Makkalu)
Malayalam music albums
- Pranayamarmaram – 2009.
|1982||Evaru Veeru Evaru Veeru||"Idhi Maatalu Raani Vela"||Ramesh Naidu|
|"Kalavu Vache Vela Ani"|
|O aadadhi O Magaadu||"O Magadu O Aadadhi"||M. S. Viswanathan|
|1983||Subha Muhurtham||"Nee Choopu"||Chakravarthy|
|1984||Ooha Sundari||"Adharam Entha Madhuram"|
|Swathi||"Chamanthi Poola Mokka"|
|1985||Ee Tharam Illalu||"Raagam Madhuram"||Ilaiyaraaja|
|1987||Thalli Godavari||"Rathiri Sagam Ayyevela"||Ramesh Naidu|
|1989||Two Town Rowdy||"Vaddhura Niddhara"||Raj–Koti|
|1994||Vanitha||"Ye Thalli Kannadani"||A. R. Rahman|
|1995||Errodu||"Yedari Seemalalo"||Vandemataram Srinivas|
|1996||Gunshot||"Pichi Gaali Vachi Paddadhi"||S. V. Krishna Reddy|
|Nalla Poosalu||"Dandgaa Maraka Mundhe"||Vandemataram Srinivas|
|1997||Osi Naa Maradhala||"Aha Emi Thaluku"||M. M. Keeravani|
|1998||Suryavamsam||"Rojave Chinni"(Male)||S. A. Rajkumar|
|1999||Alludugaaru Vachcharu||"Chali Chalani"||M. M. Keeravani|
|2000||Nuvve Kavali||"Anaganaga Aakasam"||Koti|
|Sri Srimati Satyabhama||"Neeli Neeli Meghala"||S. V. Krishna Reddy|
|2001||Prema Sandhadi||"Karanamagri Pakkintiloni"||Koti|
|2002||Baba||"Rajyama Sanyasama"||A. R. Rahman|
|Neetho||"Dil Dil Dil"||Vidhya Sagar|
|Neetho Cheppalani||"Ammaye Orakanta"||Koti|
|Vooru Manadhira||"Naa Chelli Chandramma"|
Filmography as actor
.Nakashatangal- As Neighbour- Directed by Hariharan
.Travandrum Lodge -As Narayanan Nair- Directed by VK Prakash
- 1986 – Best Male Play Back Singer for the Malayalam film Sree Narayana Guru
- Special national film award jury mention in 1972 for "Suprabhatham" song from Pani theeratha veedu (best feature film in malayalam award won)
- 1972 – Best Male Play Back Singer for the song "Suprabhatham" in the film Pani Theeratha Veedu
- 1978 – Best Male Play Back Singer for the song "Ragam Sreeragam" in the film Bandhanam
- 1999 – Best Male Play Back Singer for the song "Prayam Nammil" in the film Niram
- 2004 – Best Male Play Back Singer for the song "Neeyoru Puzhayaay" in the film Thilakkam
- 2015 – Best Male Play Back Singer for the songs "Njaan Oru Malayali", "Malarvaka Kombathu", "Sharadambaram" in the films Jilebi, Ennum Eppozhum, Ennu Ninte Moideen
- 2020 – J. C. Daniel Award for his outstanding contributions to Malayalam cinema
- 1994 – Best Male Playback Singer – for the song "Kattazham Kattuvazhi" in the film Kizhakku Cheemayile
- 1997 – Kalaimamani award by Tamil Nadu Government for 30 Years in Tamil Film Music
- Other awards
- 2000 – Swaralaya Kairali Yesudas Award
- 2011 – Kamukara Award
- 2014 – Harivarasanam Award
- 2015 – Kerala Film Critics Association Award for Best Male Playback Singer - Sharadambaram (Ennu Ninte Moideen)
- 2017 – Mazhavil Mango Music Award for Best Singer - Podimeesha (Pa Va)
- Pradeep, K. (4 June 2011). "Evergreen voice". The Hindu.
- "J.C. Daniel Award for P. Jayachandran". The Hindu. 13 December 2021.
- "ഗായക് കലാകാര് ജയചന്ദ്രന് , Interview - Mathrubhumi Movies". Archived from the original on 19 December 2013. Retrieved 19 December 2013.
- "family". www.jayachandransite.com. Retrieved 22 May 2020.
- "First song of the legendary composer A.R.Rahman". 29 November 2007.
- See photos and other info about the cast on Google https://g.co/kgs/qoAhdz[bare URL]
- "trivandrum lodge malayalam movie cast - Google Search". www.google.com. Retrieved 10 June 2021.
- "Swaralaya Kairali Yesudas Award". thiraseela.com. Retrieved 12 November 2020.
- "Third Harivarasanam Award for Jayachandran". The New Indian Express. 18 August 2014. Retrieved 9 November 2020.